CRESCENDO GRAND PUNCHINGS

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Mon, 9 May 2005 01:28:57 -0400

Er...  I'm with Avery on this one!  As long as the commercial message is
piano-related and isn't for deodorant, toilet paper, or V.i.a.g.r.a, then
it's useful here on the list.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone chastized
on this list for promoting some product or method, even though I can think
of many who have done it.  Why are y'all spatting about this now?!

Personally I'm glad Andre has aggressively pushed Wurzen felt products.
Otherwise I wouldn't have known about them and wouldn't have experienced
them for myself.  I am equally thankful that David has aggressively pushed
his metrology, as I have learned a lot from it and have some basis from
which to evaluate action geometry.  I'm even thankful to those who have
pushed some products of which I have been skeptical, because I recognized
that they were trying to improve the craft, even considering they had a
profit motive.

For most people on this list, all this discussion is about business -- the
business of making pianos perform their best.  There's profit in it for 99%
of the folks on this list who service pianos.  Then there's a smaller cut of
folks on this list who sell products to the technicians who service the
pianos.  Aren't they allowed to have a profit motive too?  We must all make
money somehow, yes????

Thank you, all of you, who have weighed in on this discussion.  I wouldn't
have dreamed a front rail punching could affect tone, beyone differences of
the noise from the key bottoming.  I am fascinated by Stephen's preliminary
findings/assertions, and they make sense to me.  I love watching the theory
and early empirical data starting to sync with the phenomenology, and I
eagerly await further findings from that lab!  I'm learning a lot.

Meanwhile, please consider a thought or two of my own:

If there is indeed a wobble effect that differences in punchings have made
apparent (and that Andre's sensitive ear has discovered), then the
consistency of the punching could well be the lesser issue.  Perhaps the
larger issue is one of how to eliminate wobble/play from the system.  For
instance, should we be focusing on an action redesign, with some mechanism
that isolates wobble from the keystick and does not transfer it to the
wippen?  Should we also be focusing on "bearings" that are more rigid?
Perhaps synthetic, molded parts that are more precise?

Anyway, until these questions are resolved, I suspect I will greatly enjoy
my Wurzen punchings -- just as much as I'm enjoying my Wurzen hammers.  :-)

Peace,
Sarah