something about aftertouch........

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Sun, 8 May 2005 21:58:52 -0500

=20

A softer punching feels softer but allows for a less defined aftertouch =
and
partially absorbs the energy.
This becomes more clear if we think again about the sea saw with the two
children. If we remove the car tyre and replace it with a more compact =
piece
of rubber, the impact will be harder because it is not as much cushioned =
by
the more flexible car tyre.

A firmer punching feels less soft but allows for a more defined =
aftertouch
and absorbs less energy.
If we again think about the sea saw, then it is undeniable that the =
harder
impact will also be felt on the other side of the sea saw, which =
literally
means a harder impact on the string, because the firmer punching effects =
the
outcome, as Stephen Birkett noted.

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

I may have missed something, but isn=92t the hammer disconnected from =
the rest
of the action=97the wippen and key=97when the jack moves away from the =
knuckle,
which is to say the hammer free flies to the string with its developed
momentum.  This free flight means the keys is no longer driving the =
hammer.
So, how can the resilience of the keys =93cushion=94 (front rail =
punching) have
any thing to do with the impact of the hammer to the string and affect =
tone?

Paul C