something about aftertouch........

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 8 May 2005 08:59:51 -0700

In this case, and with someone with this particular need, even
considering that the aftertouch would be somewhat less precisely
defined, setting normal aftertouch with a softer punching would be
preferable to setting excessive aftertouch with a firmer punching both
for accomplishing the goal of a softer landing and for performance
reasons.  But, you are right, we do have a choice. =20
=20
David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of antares
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 8:10 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: something about aftertouch........
=20

On 8-mei-05, at 7:09, David Love wrote:

Thank you for taking so much time for an explanation, and for the due
respect of course.  I do understand how different amounts of aftertouch
can create a different feel, but it=92s not really relevant to my point
about the stop, landing or whatever one chooses to call it.  My point
was much simpler and requires only one sentence:  a harder punching
feels harder at the bottom and a softer one feels softer, and some
people prefer a softer feel.   Changing the aftertouch has completely
different ramifications for action performance.  One can still regulate
that action within normal specifications of aftertouch with a softer
more compressible punching.  While the player, due to their ability to
compress the punching through a wider range, may, in effect, be able
change the amount of apparent aftertouch available, it is primarily the
greater compressibility of the punching which will be responsible for
the difference in feel. =20

It is a personal choice between two technical possibilities with
different results :=20

A softer punching feels softer but allows for a less defined aftertouch
and partially absorbs the energy.
This becomes more clear if we think again about the sea saw with the two
children. If we remove the car tyre and replace it with a more compact
piece of rubber, the impact will be harder because it is not as much
cushioned by the more flexible car tyre.

A firmer punching feels less soft but allows for a more defined
aftertouch and absorbs less energy.
If we again think about the sea saw, then it is undeniable that the
harder impact will also be felt on the other side of the sea saw, which
literally means a harder impact on the string, because the firmer
punching effects the outcome, as Stephen Birkett noted.

The choice we make is a personal one (or depends on the wishes of the
pianist/owner) and is not an issue here.
What is more important, is the fact that we are aware of the
possibilities and then can make that choice.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

www.concertpianoservice.nl