something about aftertouch........

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 8 May 2005 17:09:56 +0200

On 8-mei-05, at 7:09, David Love wrote:

> Thank you for taking so much time for an explanation, and for the due=20=

> respect of course.=A0 I do understand how different amounts of=20
> aftertouch can create a different feel, but it=92s not really relevant=20=

> to my point about the stop, landing or whatever one chooses to call=20
> it.=A0 My point was much simpler and requires only one sentence:=A0 a=20=

> harder punching feels harder at the bottom and a softer one feels=20
> softer, and some people prefer a softer feel. =A0=A0Changing the=20
> aftertouch has completely different ramifications for action=20
> performance.=A0 One can still regulate that action within normal=20
> specifications of aftertouch with a softer more compressible=20
> punching.=A0 While the player, due to their ability to compress the=20
> punching through a wider range, may, in effect, be able change the=20
> amount of apparent aftertouch available, it is primarily the greater=20=

> compressibility of the punching which will be responsible for the=20
> difference in feel. =A0

It is a personal choice between two technical possibilities with=20
different results :

A softer punching feels softer but allows for a less defined aftertouch=20=

and partially absorbs the energy.
This becomes more clear if we think again about the sea saw with the=20
two children. If we remove the car tyre and replace it with a more=20
compact piece of rubber, the impact will be harder because it is not as=20=

much cushioned by the more flexible car tyre.

A firmer punching feels less soft but allows for a more defined=20
aftertouch and absorbs less energy.
If we again think about the sea saw, then it is undeniable that the=20
harder impact will also be felt on the other side of the sea saw, which=20=

literally means a harder impact on the string, because the firmer=20
punching effects the outcome, as Stephen Birkett noted.

The choice we make is a personal one (or depends on the wishes of the=20
pianist/owner) and is not an issue here.
What is more important, is the fact that we are aware of the=20
possibilities and then can make that choice.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

www.concertpianoservice.nl