Wants piano softer

alan and carolyn barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 9 May 2005 15:59:52 -0500

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
First a practical, guaranteed, and extreeeeemely satisfying solution (A), then a possible real-world  approach (B):

A.    I would soften a Gulbranson by dissolving it in three gallons of kerosine, soak it for about at least 4 hours. Then, while the wood is still wet, use a propane torch to dry it. For your safety, I recommend doing this in a place with plenty of ventilation ... like outdoors.

B.    Shortening the blow doesn't make sense, to me, unless it is already more than 1.75 inches. Like the "soft" key misnomer, a person can still play plenty loud with the keys raised. It won't really solve the problem and you will be throwing off the whole regulation; I doubt she wants to pay you to make all that right.

The real problem, I'm assuming, is two-fold:

    1.     You have worn, hard hammers beating on strings that have a lot of noise in them, a.k.a. wild and whiny.

    2.    The piano probably had only basic and semi-accurate regulation coming out of the factory, nothing in the store, and nothing since even though parts have been wearing out, hammers flattening, etc., for years. Therefore, it is very hard for the pianist to play softly. or maybe even moderately, with good control and no notes "missing," etc. So playing hard has become "normal" for her; she may not even realize how hard she's playing or why.

I would have her sit at the piano and talk with you about what she is hearing so you can make sure you are hearing the same thing and understand her complaint. See if there is any control in playing at softer dynamics. Take a look at the hammers, rest rail felt, let off, lost motion, etc. Then see what you can improve with some hammer shaping, touch-up regulating, string seating, CA on the bridges, etc. Lastly, judiciously, carefully stab the hammers repeatedly until they stop screaming.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Doepke
To: Pianotech
Sent: 05/09/2005 2:59:00 PM
Subject: Wants piano softer

Hello List,
I received a call from a customer who has a Gulbranson console piano.  They wish to have the piano “softer”. When the player puts cotton in her ears, then its fine.
I am thinking to reduce the hammer blow distance.
Any other ideas from you folks?

      Brian P. Doepke
      A.A.A. Piano Works, Inc

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8