something about aftertouch........

alan forsyth alan@forsythalan.wanadoo.co.uk
Mon, 9 May 2005 23:59:58 +0100

Stephen Birkett wrote;

"This subject is intimately connected to the more general old chestnut
of whether different touches can create different tone on the same
instrument. If the answer to that is yes it must surely be explained
by nonlinear dynamic effects."

Don't forget what the old folks used to say when listening to a pianist;
"S/he has a nice touch". It's up to the pianist to get the most out of a
piano and make it respond, even that Kimball s/n 662791 can be made to
sparkle. The pianist is  aided by the precision of the action, such as using
non mushy felts or using the smallest amount of set-off the action can
handle. Power is useless without control and ultimately the player is in
control.

In all this debate about front punchings, I actually wonder which techs on
the list are actually players as well. I have this sneaky feeling that it is
the antagonists who are the non players.

JMHO

AF