Schimmel Voicing

Robert Edwardsen eedward2@rochester.rr.com
Tue, 10 May 2005 10:08:34 -0400

I think that if someone is buying a new piano they should always but =
something they are fully satisfied with before they buy.  You'll save =
yourself alot of grief that way.
Rob E.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jeremy Bielecki=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 9:23 AM
  Subject: Schimmel Voicing

  I have a customer who is looking into buying a new Schimmel upright.  =
He plays both classical and popular music.  He says that he really likes =
the overall touch (Renner action) and sound when he plays Chopin, but =
that the that the treble and bass ends are a bit soft sounding for when =
he plays popular music like Bruce Hornsby.  He said that it was not =
quite 'percussive' or loud enough for pop.  His question to me is if the =
treble/bass can be voiced a few years down the road so that there is a =
better volume and tone balance, somewhere between what he likes for =
classical and pop. =20

  I've been a PTG associate for about 6 months and have practiced some =
basic voicing techniques, but am not sure how to answer his question.  =
My initial thought is that some improvements can be made, but I'm not =
sure if there are any peculiarities that I don't know about.  Any =
recommendations?  Also, any thoughts in general on the 49" Schimmel =
upright he is most strongly considering? =20

  Thanks for any input!

  Jeremy Bielecki
  Associate, Detroit-Windsor Chapter