Money; was Re: a kick in the butt.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 11 May 2005 00:21:18 EDT

Hi Don
  I realize my words may have appeared  cryptic &  caused offense & if so I
apologize. I didn't mean  it to come out that way. It's true some of us are
built for speed & if that  comes with legitimate accuracy then my hats off to
you( or whomever) in  respect for your God given ability  but tuning stability is
the essence of  a true piano tuning ,a nice running temperament , Nicely
stretched octaves & solid unisons that last long after I leave the door. Now  I
know how long that takes me & that's generally 1 hour 15 min to 1 hour  & 1/2.
If it's real low then longer. I do tend to let the pitch float a few  cents
either way & dont' get to excited about it. ie. An oboe can float 4  cents sharp
or flat without to much yammer katzin & it's close enough for  many
situations. I draw the line at 5 cents & I never do it  for free. I give at church the
charity of my choice & usually not the paying  client.
  So to be clear my pet peeve is hearing that somebody is  tuning 5 or 6
pianos everyday cause I know  what a superhuman  effort that is, even if there
close. So my skeptical eye brow goes up. Even  if it was  possible ,for me I'd be
bored to tears & deaf. Heck I  couldn't even get the mutes in 8 pianos a day
let alone tune  em before I  imploded!!!!!!!
 Cheers
    Dale Erwin

Hi  Dale,

I believe that Steve Fairchild holds the "speed record" for a  "pitch
correction" at 300 seconds. (100 cents pitch change) *grin* I  suspect his
pitch correction is "pretty good" too.

Personally I once  did 11 pitch corrections in one day--when I was young and
foolish and "on  the road" and would not be back for a year. I just didn't
have the heart to  say "no" back then. Now I'd never be that foolish--and
I'd charge more,  too!

By the way it takes me *longer* when the piano is "tuneable" (i.e.  2 cents
variation) than to whip through with an ETD and correct the pitch  for a
client.

What is your definition of "tuning" Dale? I suspect  you change the pitch
too much (and for free too!).