Money; was Re: a kick in the butt.

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Tue, 10 May 2005 22:53:25

Hi Dale,

I hate to float pitch when humidity can be so easily controlled with
DamppChaser systems. I am guilty of "floating" from time to time--but only
when the client refuses my advice. Please realize I live in an extreme
climate (4% to 84$)--it would not be uncommon for A4 to drift 30 cents in 3
months (and I'm sure you can imagine what that does to the tenor--and to
unisons).

No offense was taken--at least not by me! I agree that unisons are "where
it is at", and I want them as stable as possible. I think I do not too
badly at it at least some of the time. My typical careful tuning service
call is about the same time as yours, 1 to 1.5 hours. I would rather not do
more than four a day--and three is getting more and more attractive to me
*grin*

For example I tuned a Kawai K 25 (48" upright) today that I tuned in
January. It does have a humidity control system. It has had 4 tunings in
its entire life so far (3 years old). In January the pitch correction at A4
was a whopping 26.9 cents and worst note was 114 cents (after I had tapped
the tuning pin coils). Today pitch correction at A4 was 0 cents and worst
note was 24 cents. with no note in temperament being out more than 3 cents.
I've booked it for 4 months from now and hopefully I'll finally be able to
tune the beastie.

At 12:21 AM 5/11/2005 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi Don
> I realize my words may have appeared cryptic &  caused offense & if so I
>apologize. I didn't mean it to come out that way. It's true some of us are
>built for speed & if that comes with legitimate accuracy then my hats off to
>you( or whomever) in respect for your God given ability  but tuning stability
>is the essence of a true piano tuning ,a nice running temperament , Nicely
>stretched octaves & solid unisons that last long after I leave the door. Now
>I know how long that takes me & that's generally 1 hour 15 min to 1 hour &
>1/2. If it's real low then longer. I do tend to let the pitch float a few
>cents either way & dont' get to excited about it. ie.

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-352-3620 or 1-888-29t-uner