Grist for the Mill

alan and carolyn barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 11 May 2005 21:32:36 -0500

Terry asks: Do you find pianos that have not been tuned for 10 years to be 50 cents flat? I find that it takes more like 25 or 30 years (or more) to go 50 cents flat.

Well, like the unsuccessful owner of an orchard and feed lot, I see so much crap and so few cherries it's really hard for me to speak about even "average" pianos. Certainly, I run into a lot of first-time customers who haven't tuned in about five years and are 20 to 50 cents down.

I'm going to put some hammers to pins and measure the angular movement vs. the cents change. I've only been going on memory, today.

Night all ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

P.S. I just thought ... you said that there is only a slight movement for a big change. Wouldn't that bolster the notion that a "slight" pin turn, a VERY slight pin turn would change a piano's pitch?