Grist for the Mill

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Thu, 12 May 2005 05:46:15 -0500

At 21:32 5/11/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>Terry asks: Do you find pianos that have not been tuned for 10 years to be
>50 cents flat? I find that it takes more like 25 or 30 years (or more) to
>go 50 cents flat.

Terry, you really do lead a charmed life.

Steinway is an allegedly good make. Just for fun, I looked at the record of
an "L" that is in a practice room, and, if the student worker gets to it
when he/she should, has a functional D-C unit. (no black diaper, however)

I always tune to 440, since there are a bunch of other instruments which
use the piano for accompaniment.

As found:
11/02 - 438
1/03  - 436.7
5/03  - 440.2
8/03  - 442.7
10/03 - 438.5
1/04  - 436.7
4/04  - 436.9
6/04  - 441.8
8/04  - 442.5
11/04 - 439

(The pitch raise mode on my RCT gets a LOT of use.)

This is only a _TWO_ year cycle. AND... there is at least an _attempt_ at
humidity control.  It only took 2 MONTHS to go 10-12¢ flat. I suspect that
25-30 years would find this one 200-300¢ flat.

Conrad Hoffsommer
Hyperpolysyllabicsesquipedalianist abecedarian-in-residence
Decorah, IA