Magnets - was Springs vs lead

Thu, 12 May 2005 12:21:39 +0100

Hello Joe
Making the frame of welded tubular steel, action out of alloy, the =
hammers out of plastic and the keys of plastic also, but with clock =
springs to return them? Sorry, that's already been done .... in Ireland. =
I cite: Lindtner of Shannon. When that firm went into liquidation I =
believe they paid off the work-force with pianos...:-)
Regards
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 11:16 PM
  Subject: Magnets - was Springs vs lead

  The Michael From The Island said: "I like it! Magnetic forces - what =
are the downsides?"

  The only one that comes to mind, is that magnets lose their =
properties/strength with time.
  As for the lead thingee: you'd have to put one helluvalotof lead into =
the system to mimic the effect of a spring, which is what pianists are =
used to. Perhaps making the entire system out of iron or steel would =
come close. But, still not the same sensory for the pianist. Also more =
propensity for noise. :-(
  Just my inflated $ worth.<G>

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police