Grist for the Mill

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 12 May 2005 11:13:59 -0400

No, look at the entire course the pitch has taken over the two year period -
add up all the plus and minus hertz values - the net is -1.7 Hz, or a little
less than 7 cents in two years, that's just over 3 cents per year. At that
rate, in 25 years this piano would be 85 cents flat. Keep in mind also that
we don't know exactly how representative these two years might be for the
next 23, and also, the pitch drop rate should slow down as tension on the
strings decrease over time. So maybe somewhere between 50 and 85 cents flat
over 25 years? Sounds like the ballpark I experience!

Even here in piano-friendly Florida modern homes, if someone opens the
windows during a rainy spell for a few weeks and then cranks up the heat for
a few weeks during a cold spell after that, sure, a piano in that
environment would experience a significant pitch drop - probably more than
the 10-12 cents you observed.

Terry Farrell