Petrof

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Thu, 12 May 2005 19:31:23 -0500

Petrof is doing what we all must constantly do.  We have prepared our skills
for what we have learned.  Now what we have learned does us no good for
facing what we need to do in the future.  We must keep adopting new skills
and practices as the economy and work expectations change around us so
quickly.
I have 2 used pianos for sale and I bought them quite reasonably to work on
to prepare for resale.  I have had them completed for about a month now and
have not had 1 single person come look at them.  It used to be a way of
supplementing income.  It appears that the portable keyboards, and digital
pianos which fall in the under $1K price have taken their tole on selling
used pianos also.  I will try to learn for the future that what worked once,
and often, before, is not going to work anymore.  This experience will also
shape my appraising figures of the pianos I appraise for clients.  Used
pianos will not necessarily be worth what I think they should be worth,
regardless if they are good pianos or not.  Eyes are now focused on the
brand new and latest thing for most people.  We must keep this constantly in
our  mind.  The traditional has now turned into the "old fashioned" and less
desirable.  This is a sobering fact to realize.  This also means that older
age and greater experience is not automatically and advantage but could be
perceived as working the old fashioned way.  Those of us who 'look our age',
beware..  Our skills and the way we run our businesses must be state of the
art if we are to attract, yes I mean ATTRACT, and keep new clients to our
services.  We cannot rest on our laurels like tuners of old used to do.  We
must remain fresh and on the cutting edge if we are to progress.  If we do
not, the number of calls that we get will slowly decline and what was once
out vocation for making a living will become our beloved hobby.  We cannot
eat hobby.
Stepping down out of the pulpit now.

James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups, piano benches, writing instruments
(314) 608-4137
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010