Recycled Upright

alan and carolyn barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 12 May 2005 22:10:04 -0500

I feel kinda sad for the poor old piano.

I've heard of "organ" transplants from the dead to the living but "piano" transplants.

Seems like the oak posts would be useful around the house, too.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 05/12/2005 9:58:27 PM
Subject: Recycled Upright

    The boys & I picked up another free 1890s bush& gerts upright the other day. As I posted some time back I occasionally find a cache of maple in these old beauties worth many hundreds of dollars which I use for bridge caps & pinblocks etc. But this one was solid maple. Yes every piece except oddly the back posts which were oak. Dennis & Jacob  tore the it down to the  skeleton in an hour  & half. The back is sitting out front with a free sign on it.
  The sides popped off with a crow bar & that was that. This was a true treasure trove of tight grained maple. Street value , if you could find it probably 3 to 400 dollars. my minimum wage help cost me about 60 bucks in labor. It ws a bargain.  Not all is suitable for bridge capping but it is for many other uses
   The really tight grain makes the prettiest tenor/treble bridge caps I've ever seen. The smaller  narrow pieces I glue up to make pieces wide enough for the treble caps .I reverse the  grain orientation  which allows to notch with the grain no matter which side I'm  starting on. The glue joints are virtually invisible, if that matters & it's pretty in shellac. The tighter, denser  totally, quartered wood makes for a treble cap with excellent impedance properties.
  It was fun
  Dale Erwin

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.