Petrof

alan and carolyn barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 12 May 2005 22:04:32 -0500

1.  Your post is interesting and largely true but a little pessimistic,
perhaps. It is interesting that the next List post was the SAMA article
about a prospering rebuilding operation. And they certainly aren't the only
one. I look at it this way: The market for cheaper pianos probably HAS
shifted toward the electronics but many better players want better, real
pianos and they are the kind I want for clients, anyway. People with the
$200 beater don't know or really care how well the piano plays or sounds
and not the kind of customers to build a business on. I make money off such
folks, certainly but usually they are one-shots or maybe(!) annual
customers at best.

2.  One great argument for a real piano (besides individual instrument
"character," expressiveness, etc.) is that the electronics are going to be
just like computers: They will obsolesce and/or die every few years. On the
other hand, a quality piano (yes, I'm told there are some out there) can
last 100+ years, if cared for, and be a family heirloom, etc. Some
potential customers will definitely be lost to Das Blinkenlights und Der
Fingerpoken Wunderbare Maschine, die Ihre Ohren angreift, but I don't think
real pianos are going away all that soon. I'm not sure I'd try to talk a
youngster into the business but I had an apprentice who was 19. She has a
BA in Music but chose piano work after a lot of investigation. She loves it
and will be very, very good. Best of all, she got married and moved to
Idaho so she isn't competing with me. Ha. Anyway, she very wisely observed
that most people have more than one career before they retire (certainly
true in OUR business) so maybe she will evolve or retrain with the times. A
positive outlook will see her (and we who have longer teeth, less hair) a
long way.

3.  What are the pianos do you have for sale? I have buyers, no pianos.
Details, prices, please. Pix if Poss.

4.  (Private) Liz Baker taught a super technical Tuesday on prepping pianos
(especially Steinways, natch') for voicing. Miss yer face around the place

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri