Recycled Upright

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 13 May 2005 06:39:57 -0400

The sides were solid hard maple? I've never seen that - but I haven't =
yanked that many old uprights apart. You are throwing the back out? =
Solid oak? Why not use it? Make braces, fish, etc. out of it.

Can you better explain what you are doing with the treble caps? =
Reversing the grain?

Do bridge caps have meaningful impedance properties?

Thanks.

Terry Farrell

      The boys & I picked up another free 1890s bush& gerts upright the =
other day. As I posted some time back I occasionally find a cache of =
maple in these old beauties worth many hundreds of dollars which I use =
for bridge caps & pinblocks etc. But this one was solid maple. Yes every =
piece except oddly the back posts which were oak. Dennis & Jacob  tore =
the it down to the  skeleton in an hour  & half. The back is sitting out =
front with a free sign on it.
    The sides popped off with a crow bar & that was that. This was a =
true treasure trove of tight grained maple. Street value , if you could =
find it probably 3 to 400 dollars. my minimum wage help cost me about 60 =
bucks in labor. It ws a bargain.  Not all is suitable for bridge capping =
but it is for many other uses
     The really tight grain makes the prettiest tenor/treble bridge caps =
I've ever seen. The smaller  narrow pieces I glue up to make pieces wide =
enough for the treble caps .I reverse the  grain orientation  which =
allows to notch with the grain no matter which side I'm  starting on. =
The glue joints are virtually invisible, if that matters & it's pretty =
in shellac. The tighter, denser  totally, quartered wood makes for a =
treble cap with excellent impedance properties.
    It was fun
    Dale Erwin=20

  Erwins Pianos Restorations=20
  4721 Parker Rd.