Knabe stretcher puzzle

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 14 May 2005 10:35:38 -0700

Just did one of these.  The cap is glued down onto the stretcher and is
not mortised into the side of the case.  You have to remove the cap.
Take a sharp chisel and try and work it under one side just to break the
joint.  Once you have an opening, wick some warm water with wall paper
remover into it.  Allow it to soften and move slowly along wicking more
into the joint as you go.  Take your time and you can probably get it
off in one piece.  Unfortunately I wasn't so patient and will have to
replace it.  When you put it back together you can line the seam with
some felt and screw it down countersinking the screws on top with some
brass screws with head sleeves.  Unfortunately, I wasn't so patient and
will have to replace the cap.  Not that big a deal either.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Michael Spalding
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 10:25 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Knabe stretcher puzzle

List,

Having a wonderful weekend, tearing down a small Knabe for rebuild.
Can't see how to remove the plate without destroying the stretcher.  The
stretcher has an integral cap which overhangs the front plate flange.
Photo attached.  Quite attractive in its finished form, but gets in the
way of lifting the plate.  Can't slide the plate back until it's lifted
above the nose bolts, two of which are only 12" away from the flange.
Unless someone has a better idea, I plan to cut away the offending part
of the stretcher, then re-veneer the exposed surface, which faces the
plate flange.  I'm not afraid of the woodworking required, but would as
soon avoid the work if possible.  Better ideas??

thanks

Mike

Michael Spalding
spalding48@earthlink.net