Wanting to become a Piano Technician

Kevin C kevinc@srcaccess.net
Sat, 14 May 2005 13:47:00 -0500

Thanks Matthew for the welcome.  This list looks extremely valuable for =
gleaning information.  I will be lurking and reading all the post daily. =
 Sounds like you have a great plan.  Also, like me, looks like you were =
more interested in playing the instrument rather than learning about =
'teaching about it' while you were getting your music degree.  My main =
axe is saxophone and that is what I majored on but over the years, I =
have been hired to play keyboards more often.  I'm not really a pianist, =
I just hack away on it playing Country or Rock n Roll stuff in bands. I =
hope that becoming a piano technician will help me survive independently =
as a musician and recording studio owner/operator without having to go =
back into the corporate world working for "The Man".  Thanks again for =
your kindness.

Best Regards,
Kevin Cook
http://coyotedream.com

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Matthew Todd=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 12:19 PM
  Subject: Re: Wanting to become a Piano Technician

  Hi Kevin,

  I have been in the piano technology business for 30 plus years.  I =
have tuned for some of the great masters of our time and times past =
(Horowitz, Gould, Kissen, etc).  I am also able to perfectly tune 12 =
piano per day at $250 per shot.  I own my own island, and plan to marry =
a rich widow.  My nose is also growing considerably.

  No really Kevin, Glad to have you.  I am very much a newbie to this as =
well (this is the truth).  I began Randy's course six years ago, and =
then went back to my first love (piano performing).  Since then, =
shamefully, the course was put on the shelf.  Well then, I made a =
commitment to myself that I would re-learn and finish this course.  And =
after I finish, apprentice with a technician, and learn the skills =
necessary to pass the PTG exams.  This is really what I want to do, not =
only for a living, but because I am deeply in love with the piano (don't =
tell my wife).

  I do have a degree in piano performance, but so far, that hasn't =
helped my piano technology studies any.  I do have an old beatup piano =
that I have been practicing on like crazy.

  Thanks for introducing yourself to the list.
  Matthew