Re voicing hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 15 May 2005 11:33:52 EDT

Ric
  A well reasoned & dispassioante post I  wholeheartedly agree with.
   I keep saying it ,but if a hammer that  requires only a little stiffening
up, speaking from starting on the soft  side,  doesn't require thick but only
very thin dilutions of  nitro cellulose lacquer to coat the fibers & stiffen
the hammer. This mild  treatment does not render the fibers unresielent nor
ruined but regulates  the resilience of the fiber
    The truly soft   hammer requires denser & multiple  lacquer solutions. If
it  takes this technique  to get it speak  then the felt is poor or  pressed
wrong or both. & I'll let you'all draw your own conclusions on  that one.
However they can sound great...... for a while & I  beleive in the end, possibly
harder to manage. That being said I've worked on  hammers like  this that were
quite mangeable.
    Ray at Ronsen pointed out the one brand of  felt has good tensioning
qualities but not much compression. A great felt has  both. SO the lacquer is
adding an artificial component of compression.....,IMO  that is.
  Also in this only a little bit soft case, straight  acetone washed into the
hammer can have a mild stiffening affect by shrinkage  & leaves no residue.
Certainly a harmless first step . A Rule of thumb  in voicing is always use the
least innocuos step first & do test  notes.
  Dale Erwin

Hi  Andre

My own choice is cellulose lacquer. Its one of the softest, and
springiest lacquers available. It always struck me that if one first was
too use lacquer, then a lacquer with its own kind of resiliency was a
sensible choice. Dries fast, results show themselves in about an hour
and cures completely in a day or two (at least in the amounts used in
hammer doping).

That said.. Stan wood has observed that lacquers  and other hardening
agents tend to coat the fibers of hammer felt making  them brittle and
essentially destroying their resilient capabilities. So a  chemical that
simply causes the fibers to tension up a  bit...(shrinking)  without any
other affect would perhaps be the  ideal.  Haven't tried any such thing
yet... shying from chemicals as  I do, thou I have bumped into a bit of
reading on the subject.

As  for colloduium .... grin... you are wrong about its primary benefit
Andre  !  In reality that is its ability to make all future use of mind
expanding drugs totally redundant !! :)

Oh.... and Terry... yep..  some folks are out there hardening Yamaha
hammers.  Usually because  they have been devastated by softening agents,
over steamed, or just plain  needled to death.  Strikes me that in spite
of all the ingenious  alternative methods our American allies have for
doing things  differently... too many over there have forgotten, put
aside, or otherwise  ignored developing and maintaining needling skills.
No reflection on  those who can mind you. One striking difference between
voicing problems  one runs into here in Europe visa vi those in America
(based on personal  experience) is that in America you find tons of cases
of hammers mauled  one way or the other by the uninitiated tech. Where as
in Europe... the  vast majority of voicing problems have their basis
simply from a lack of  voicing maintenance done.

Cheers
RicB