voicing hammers

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 15 May 2005 12:29:08 -0700

Quentin asked: "Concerning your second reply, to me fine regulation =
pushes the piano to =3D
its limits to a certain point, but when you have to deal with a pianist =
=3D
who wants very very bright sound (like Horowitz wanted, for example), =
=3D
what can you do except hardening the hammers before the concert?
It's been only 5 years that I am in the profession, and this is the kind =
=3D
of questions I am asking to myself, trying to find answers, if there are =
=3D
answers, though... ! ;-)"

Quentin,
I understand your situation. I never did much "voicing" in the first =
10-15 years of my career. (I was afraid to. And, I didn't trust my =
hearing, as I have a hearing deficiency. After I was fitted with some =
modern technology, I began to feel confident in trying voicing. Now, I =
feel I can accomodate most requests with ease.)
As to your direct question, I'd do two things: 1. ask the 'pianist' if =
he would like to spend the money for a new set of hammers to be =
installed. If the answer is yes, (damned unlikely<G>), then juice them =
puppies! If the answer is no, (standard answer), then I'd probably Iron =
the hammers and see if that would bring them up sufficiently to the =
"taste"<G> of the pianist. If that didn't work, then I'd just tell the =
"pianist" that the piano is what it is, and he/she would have to deal =
with it. W/O anything from the Owner of the piano, that would be as far =
as I would go.
The problem lies in the fact that most "pianists" percieve Bright with =
Power, which just isn't so!!! If you can convince the "pianist" that the =
piano is "carrying" in the hall, then your work is done. If not....see =
above, IMHO.
This is why I am reluctant to do "Concert Work". Life's too short to =
deal with idjits, IMO.<G>
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I