split bridge addendum

Ron & Lorene Shiflet rlshiflet@cableone.net
Sun, 15 May 2005 12:26:51 -0700

I'd wish I could post a picture but my digital camera died.  I haven't =
replaced it yet.

Terry asked about a better description.  Bear with me, I haven't pulled =
the strings off the hitch pins yet.

The bridge (at least in this piano), is made of two pieces of wood, an =
underneath chunk of maple capped with a top covering (about 1/4 inch =
thick that runs lengthwise.  I assume the top is maple too. =20

The two woods have separated and there is an 1/8 inch gap between them.  =
The split runs about 80% of the length of the high teeble, about 12-18 =
inches.  The rest of the piano is fine.

I considered 'screw it down' method with epoxy and a deck screw...but =
there isn't enough room between the strings.  I originally tossed the =
idea but if the countersunk screw goes down deep enough, I think we'll =
be ok. =20

thanks
Ron