Re voicing hammers/hardening

Sun, 15 May 2005 20:40:16 +0100

Hello Rik & Andre and List
I am trying to establish the fastest method of hardening the hammers of this
old upright German "Katz" which is used on stage in "Bartered Bride". Right
now we are still in rehearsal and it is very soft sounding. I have regulated
the touch and the set-off to bring the hammers within about 5mm from the
strings - which is pushing my luck somewhat as a lot of the butt springs are
broken! Even so it is very soft-sounding. At the moment we are countering
this to a degree by removing the front panel and kneeboard. Fortunately
there's a music desk on the fall. I have the following potions :-) Apsco
#425  Hammer Felt Reinforcer (that'll take you back a few years?). Very
pungent smell. I also have  a small can of Humbrol Nitrate Cellulose Dope -
this is usually used to taughten the paper tissue skin applied to model
aircraft. (great fun!) The Apsco stuff can, I believe, be thinned down using
Acetone (nail varnish remover - more smelly stuff!) as required. Given the
scenario and with the action on its front (hammers "up") what, in your
opinion is the best, fastest and most effective way to harden those hammers?
:-)