Re voicing hammers

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 15 May 2005 14:18:00 +0200

On 15-mei-05, at 13:14, Ric Brekne wrote:

> Hi Andre
>
> My own choice is cellulose lacquer. Its one of the softest, and
> springiest lacquers available. It always struck me that if one first
> was too use lacquer, then a lacqure with its own kind of resiliency
> was a sensible choice. Dries fast, results show themselves in about an
> hour and cures completely in a day or two (at least in the amounts
> used in hammer dopping).

Sure, that's why I had no negative opinion about it, other than the
fact that it dries up fast and is therefor a little harder to carry
around.

> 'some technician' -  has observed that lacquers and other hardning
> agents tend to coat the fibers of hammer felt making them brittle and
> essentially destroying their resilent capabitlites. So a chemical that
> simply causes the fibers to tension up a bit...(shrinking)  without
> any other affect would perhaps be the ideal.  Havent tried any such
> thing yet... shying from chemicals as I do, tho I have bumped into a
> bit of reading on the subject.

All hardeners clot the wool fibers up to a degree. that's why they are
called hardeners.
I am against them on principle except for the outer extremities of the
keyboard i.e. the highest notes and the lowest notes.

> As for collodium .... grin... you are wrong about its primary benifit
> Andre !  In reality that is its ability to make all future use of mind
> expanding drugs totally redundant !! :)

Ah but I like collodium because it does show a result after 1 hr and
especially for the fact that it is easy to carry around. If I want to
get high, that makes it all the more attractive as well ... *((: >)))
la-la-la-la-la....

> Oh.... and Terry... yep.. some folks are out there hardening Yamaha
> hammers.  Usually because they have been devastated by softening
> agents, over steamed, or just plain needled to death.  Strikes me that
> in spite of all the ingenious alternative methods our American allies
> have for doing things differently... too many over there have
> forgotten, put aside, or otherwise ignored developing and maintaining
> needling skills.  No reflection on those who can mind you. One
> striking difference between voicing problems one runs into here in
> Europe visa vi those in America (based on personal experience) is that
> in America you find tons of cases of hammers mauled one way or the
> other by the uninitiated tech. Where as in Europe... the vast majority
> of voicing problems have their basis simply from a lack of voicing
> maintainance done.

And in the case of Quentins remark about hammer dope used on Yamaha's :
He indeed means applying some hardener on hammers belonging to a
CFIII-S, the concert grand which has ..... Wurzen felt.
usually the lowest and highest Wurzen hammers could use some extra
'spritz', that's the price for less needling and easier needling.

greets