Re voicing hammers

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 15 May 2005 13:14:27 +0200

Hi Andre

My own choice is cellulose lacquer. Its one of the softest, and
springiest lacquers available. It always struck me that if one first was
too use lacquer, then a lacqure with its own kind of resiliency was a
sensible choice. Dries fast, results show themselves in about an hour
and cures completely in a day or two (at least in the amounts used in
hammer dopping).

That said.. Stanwood has observed that lacquers and other hardning
agents tend to coat the fibers of hammer felt making them brittle and
essentially destroying their resilent capabitlites. So a chemical that
simply causes the fibers to tension up a bit...(shrinking)  without any
other affect would perhaps be the ideal.  Havent tried any such thing
yet... shying from chemicals as I do, tho I have bumped into a bit of
reading on the subject.

As for collodium .... grin... you are wrong about its primary benifit
Andre !  In reality that is its ability to make all future use of mind
expanding drugs totally redundant !! :)

Oh.... and Terry... yep.. some folks are out there hardening Yamaha
hammers.  Usually because they have been devastated by softening agents,
over steamed, or just plain needled to death.  Strikes me that in spite
of all the ingenious alternative methods our American allies have for
doing things differently... too many over there have forgotten, put
aside, or otherwise ignored developing and maintaining needling skills.
No reflection on those who can mind you. One striking difference between
voicing problems one runs into here in Europe visa vi those in America
(based on personal experience) is that in America you find tons of cases
of hammers mauled one way or the other by the uninitiated tech. Where as
in Europe... the vast majority of voicing problems have their basis
simply from a lack of voicing maintainance done.

Cheers
RicB

Andre writes:

/My "weapon of choice" is collodium (or collodion) because it is a
natural hardener, mixed with alcohol and ether.

The ether smells badly for a short time, but the advantage of this
is that it is easy to apply (with a pipette), easy to take
along (in a small glass bottle) as a standard tool case item for the
traveling technician, it will stay the way it is (it does not harden
out but stays liquid), after 1 hour we get a result and after 1 day the
stuff has done its work completely/