Puzzler: A new one on me !

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 15 May 2005 23:45:14 +0200

Ok folks.

Subject was a 1985 Steinway C in very fine condition. New hammers and
shanks a couple years back, with a full Stanwood balancing job done
whilst David was here for the Bergen Convention. Just newly voiced and
regulated. Hammers recieved their  first real re-shapping since the
initial install.  During the last stages of the voicing I notice  the
first note in the highest section making a noise that was unmistakably a
hammer come loose from its shank. No mistaking that sound at all....
except I was wrong.

The only clue I will give you is that I changed hammer and shank with
the neighbor and the noise dissapeared, which led me to the solution.

I'll be interested to see if anyone nails this one right off. Wouldnt
suprise me either way tho.

Cheers
RicB