Re voicing hammers

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 15 May 2005 23:48:43 +0200

On 15-mei-05, at 23:30, Ric Brekne wrote:

> Soaking hammers with lack.. for whatever reasons is bound to result in
> a somewhat different sound. IMO, we oft times underestimate the
> contribution to the total sound picture all the by-sounds have. The
> slap of a hammer soaked in lacquer vs the sound of plain felt,  the
> sound of hard cushions vs resilient ones vs soft ones, the sounds of
> the shanks... all play in.  I dont really know for sure what causes
> the difference, I just know my own ears like hammers that are needled
> well, and perhaps slightly touched in the extremes with some additive.

I totally agree with you Ricardo. With the exception of Dale's  method
(applying as little as possible and only when needed) I am absolutely
against applying any hardener in a quality hammer.
And if it is not a quality hammer, well heck... I would not even bother
at all.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek