Re voicing hammers

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 15 May 2005 23:30:02 +0200

Hi Dale

I've suspected ever since we last discussed this issue that we were more
in agreement then otherwise, and this posting underlines that.
Personally, I like to work from the hard side, using hammers that need
needling, but hammers that are by no means hard or difficult to needle.
The desire to shun overly hard hammers, i.e. hammers that are very
difficult and strenuous to needle, is one I think most of us relate to
for a variety of reasons.

On hammers that are just barely soft, I like to try to file a layer or
two off and try and get down to tone before using lacquer. But if it
comes to it, and it only takes that 4-5 drops of hardener on the crown
to bring them up then this is generally yields good results. 4-5 drops
doesnt penetrate very much, which makes the process reversible if you
feel you need to. It also allows the natural affect of needling to all
other areas of the hammer, so needling up still has its opening affect.
So what you say is quite true.  But then you know what you are and are
in total control over the voicing process.

Soaking hammers with lack.. for whatever reasons is bound to result in a
somewhat different sound. IMO, we oft times underestimate the
contribution to the total sound picture all the by-sounds have. The slap
of a hammer soaked in lacquer vs the sound of plain felt,  the sound of
hard cushions vs resilient ones vs soft ones, the sounds of the
shanks... all play in.  I dont really know for sure what causes the
difference, I just know my own ears like hammers that are needled well,
and perhaps slightly touched in the extremes with some additive.

The acetone trick is one I will have to try.  I dont like Acetone
mixtures.. in general shy away from it as it can do damage to too many
things laying around the typical household.  But this one intrigues me a
bit...  unsoiled acetone used as a shrinking agent.  Definatly worth a
try.  I agree 100 % with your Rule of Thumbs.  I always go for the path
of least incision first :)

Cheers
RicB

/Ric
  A well reasoned & dispassioante post I  wholeheartedly agree with.
   I keep saying it ,but if a hammer that  requires only a little stiffening
up, speaking from starting on the soft  side,  doesn't require thick but only
very thin dilutions of  nitro cellulose lacquer to coat the fibers & stiffen
the hammer. This mild  treatment does not render the fibers unresielent nor
ruined but regulates  the resilience of the fiber
    The truly soft   hammer requires denser & multiple  lacquer solutions. If
it  takes this technique  to get it speak  then the felt is poor or  pressed
wrong or both. & I'll let you'all draw your own conclusions on  that one.
However they can sound great...... for a while & I  beleive in the end, possibly
harder to manage. That being said I've worked on  hammers like  this that were
quite mangeable.
    Ray at Ronsen pointed out the one brand of  felt has good tensioning
qualities but not much compression. A great felt has  both. SO the lacquer is
adding an artificial component of compression.....,IMO  that is.
  Also in this only a little bit soft case, straight  acetone washed into the
hammer can have a mild stiffening affect by shrinkage  & leaves no residue.
Certainly a harmless first step . A Rule of thumb  in voicing is always use the
least innocuos step first & do test  notes.
  Dale Erwin/