M & H upright

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sun, 15 May 2005 15:22:50 -0700

This is a 1903 M H upright that I've restrung after rescaling and just put
on a new set of Ronsen hammers with Bacon felt and soft maple cores.  It has
a pianocorder installed.  My main concern has been to have a piano that
plays softly.  After installing about 130 pianocorders the biggest complaint
has been "Its too loud"  "Go in the bathroom if you want to talk"  There is
a normal threshold where the piano won't play.  Pneumatic pianos have the
most power at the beginning of the stroke but solenoid driven ones have the
most power at the end and its not linear.  It's not easy to get a solenoid
to perform like a pneumatic.

My intent was to use soft light hammers and reduced stroke to make the piano
play as soft as possible and still function well.

Other ways to reduce volume would be to stuff shag carpet or foam in the
back between the posts.

The new hammers were dramatic in reducing the volume.  I may have to juice
it up some.

I reduced the hammer blow to about 1 3/4.  I had to adjust the backcheck to
check at 3/8-1/2 inch to prevent bobbling.  It seems to play okay manually
(I'm not a pianist) but from the pianocorder it still seems to bobble and
not repeat right.  the solenoids seem to be adjusted correctly.

This piano has the brass leaf springs on the jacks.  I have come to the
conclusion that these springs are causing the butts to dance on the jack tip
since the jack gets in the way due to the springs trying to push the jack
back under the butt.  This then causes the unstable operation from the
solenoids.

I'm considering removing the leaf springs.  I know they are there to
increase repetition, but in this situation I think they are the source of
the problem.  Would I need a flame suit if I removed them?  I don't like hot
weather.

Another thing I'm considering is replacing the hammer return springs.  I
recall years ago finding that weak return springs will cause bobbling.
Dampers are on the list as well.

I just today have contracted to install a pianocorder in a Horugal grand
piano.  They want it with a wireless unit from a computer, complete with a
wireless power switch.

I am sure having a ball with this unit.  I can even download some of Yamahas
music and play it on my piano.

Just go to Pianocorder on Google and find out about Mark Fontana's plug in
that converts midi to pianocorder.  I can control tempo, volume and
transpose from the mouse.  Lotsa fun and unlimited source of music.

What do youse all think of removing the lead springs??  Thanks

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.