Sanding bridge top

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 16 May 2005 10:40:39 EDT

David
  I see that you said this but it almost slipped by me. It's early  If you=20
have much sanding to do I find most often I then need to re-notch  all or pa=
rt=20
of the bridge to clean up the terminations & sometimes it  means quite a bit=
 of=20
re-notching .=20
   With old dry bridge tops it's  very critical to keep your  chisel razor=20
sharp so you can peel the very least amount of wood from the notch.  I'm a b=
ig=20
believer that  one should leave as much wood on top of the bridge  as possib=
le=20
for strength & integrity.

The further procedure  I now use is to then coat the bridge top with clear=20
coat epoxy and lightly  swab the holes using a toothpick.   After it=E2=80=
=99s cured,=20
sand back the epoxy with 220  and then 400 paper.  Recut the  notches.  With=
 the=20
 appropriate bridge pin drill, drill out the holes again=E2=80=94slowly and=20=
carefully=20
 being careful about the angle.   Insert the new pins with just a touch of=20
epoxy (very slow cure type)  and wipe off the excess.   When cured, spray th=
e=20
bridge cap with a light coat of satin  lacquer (I do it out of a can as it=
=E2=80=99s=20
easier to control a light coat).  Looks great and the epoxy hardens the surf=
ace =20
nicely.
  David
   Does this suffice as a sealer coat for the notches too  or are you=20
painting something in the notches first. We always brush in a coat of  shell=
ac & then=20
a coat or two of gloss lacquer. Looks very  tidy.
  Dale Erwin

=20
David  Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net =20