Crushed damper stop rail

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 May 2005 09:44:00 -0700

Barbara asked: "I was wondering what your favorite methods were of =
dealing with grand =3D
damper stop rails that have been tightened so much that the wood has =3D
been crushed by the screws, making any fine adjustment, =3D
well.....impossible.   What have you done?  Just replace them (sigh) or =
=3D
would gluing in some sort of shim or filler do the job?"

Barbara,
Go to your local hardware store and get some "Fender Washers" with the =
appropriate sized hole. These spread the pressure out farther than =
regular washers. I'm going to do exactly that on the 1867 Chickering =
Grand that is in the final stages of refinement. I made the Damper =
Upstop Rail and used the washers supplied with the back action, =
(Pratt-Read). After several in/out procedures, of the dampers, the new =
rail is exhibiting this problem, already! Yikes! :-( Even tho, the rail =
is made out of good quality Rock Maple, the problem exists, here as in =
most damper systems of the same type. The answer is Fender Washers.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I