SAMA refinishing

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 16 May 2005 19:28:55 -0700

Sorry Guy, I didn't take you for the SAMA Guy.  I guess I haven't
checked out who's who carefully enough.  Got it now.  My point (for
Grebe as well) was that I want some outside references.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Nichols
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 6:11 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: SAMA refinishing

At 05:21 PM 5/16/2005 -0700, you wrote:

Won't be in KC, unfortunately, and I'm sure they would only bring their
best example.  Does your comment carry some greater meaning?

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

Me? Greater meaning? Whew, David.... don't over-estimate me! <G> My
comment was because I couldn't really say anything else "objectively",
now, could I? At least, not on this list. My face is already sore from
an earlier laughing/smiling session involving spilled ice water, but I'm
smiling a lot now. <G> Really!
And well, we are going to bring a couple of nice examples, but I
wouldn't say they're the best. The S&S Louis B had been in a University
bandroom for many years, It's been carved-on, walked-on, de-embossed,
and otherwise treated rather rudely. We did a nice job, and replaced the
missing carvings, and evened-out the color, for sure. But.... the job
was a donation, and we couldn't afford to reveneer the whole thing!
We've got some great "before" pictures. Then... we delivered it at the
beginning of this semester..... so.... it's been in use for a while. It
won't be what you might call a stellar example of high-end restoration.
But it's real. The little ebony Baldwin R we're bringing is a good
example of a basic ebony satin. It is also from the University, and has
been in use for a while, too. Unfortunately, even with a cover, they
marred it up pretty well. We'll rub it out and ship it. I had chalked on
the cover "NOT A TABLE" and "PLEASE". After just one week, students had
chalked the word "DANCE" after both "not a table"s, and also chalked
some nice footprints across my cover. How sweet, eh? Gotta love 'em. <G>
If you want a so-called un-varnished honest opinion about our finish
(get it?), I'm willing. When I was working with my dad, we got
absolutely crazy about the wood prep. No fillers, nothing but analine
dye, hand-applied finishes up to fifteen coats, etc. I mean, crazy. The
SAMA plant does a real nice commercial finish. I've seen better for four
times the price, and I've seen worse for twice the price. Everything is
well stripped and well prepped, and there are many coats of quality
sealer and surface materials. Ebony satin from the plant are very nicely
cut, and if the shipper doesn't beat it up too badly, is easy to rub
out. Nice build-up on the edges, overall, and very good carving
repair/duplication. On the "still needs improvement" side, coloring of
mis-matched woods is a challenge, and some of the touch-up is more
visible than I like. Also, we really have to watch our drying time when
the weather is changing quickly. I swear some shippers could put pad
marks on a slab of steel! The plate finish can't be beat. (most of the
time) Honestly.
If you, David, or anyone, for that matter, can't make it to KC, then
call the marketing office for references or to find a dealer (or tech)
near you that has one of our finished pianos. All the contact info is in
the insert of the Journal, or in the classified ad. One of the best
features of the work from SAMA is the warranty. That was one of the
first changes I made when I took over the brokerage last year. Every one
in the plant was instructed that they had the power and the
responsibility to pull a piano out of the line if necessary. Period.

So.... I sure hope this has been helpful and informative. I haven't a
clue as to what else to do. (hey! that rhymes!)  But.... I'm having a
lot more fun than I deserve!

Later,
Guy Nichols, RPT
Ft. Stinkin' Desert, NM