[Files] Gildemeester and Kroeger Pics

alan and carolyn barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 21 May 2005 05:52:08 -0500

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
I'll bet Alan Wyatt will know, but I'm guessing it was mostly to let the jack reset quicker on short blows. Whatever benefit it might have intended, or actually provided, was surely not worth the extra source of troubles and the less secure contact/push between jack and hammer, I'm guessing.

BTW, the inventor of the rocker capstan deserves to be hunted down—wherever he may be and despite the warm climate there—and doomed to an eternity of removing ticking, clicking, and clacking noises while endlessly regulating all the unfortunate rocker-capstan pianos that have ever lived and died. He can start on a certain 1890 Kranich & Bach upright that is on life support in a small church in Edgar Springs, Missouri and is not expected to live much longer, hopefully. Keep it in your prayers.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: tom driscoll
To: files@ptg.org
Cc: tom driscoll
Sent: 05/21/2005 5:17:53 AM
Subject: [Files] Gildemeester and Kroeger Pics

List,
    I evaluated A Gildemeester-Kroeger 6' Rosewood grand  C.1890? --resembles  somewhat the Steinway & Sons  A1--With the third bridge.
    Anyway it has the Herrburger action  with the stickers pinned  to the rockers (Snaps in as the Acrosonic stickers do to their Whippens)

    This piano needs rewhatevering -Failed bridge caps -Loose T-pins-buzzy soundboard-Ivory chipped
    The good part is the condition of the action--Low mileage on the hammers etc.
    My questions:
    Any advice on dealing with this action ?
    I'm interested in the function of the leather covered part pinned over the rep. lever.
    It engages a small wooden " Knuckle " on the shank.

    My client is leaning toward selling this piano ,but is considering other options.
    Rebuilders out there--Any advice or interest in this thing ?
    Tom Driscoll

Photos at:

http://tinyurl.com/apu9u

http://tinyurl.com/9xzhs