1888 Steinway B Value

Will Wickham wwickham@stny.rr.com
Sat, 21 May 2005 12:18:47 -0400

I'm hoping some of you fine rebuilders can help me give my customer
some good idea of the value of her 85 note Rosewood 'B'. The piano has
been in the same location since it was purchased by the woman's mother
in 1942 as a used piano. The good folks at Steinway tell me it was
originally built and sold in early 1888. I believe that the legs have
been replaced at some time. It currently has tapered-square legs, not
the round ornate ones it probably started with. The keys have been
recovered, most likely in the 50's or 60's based on the look of the
plastic. Everything else is probably original.

She is trying to decide if she wants to have it completely rebuilt and
keep it in the family or if she wants to sell it as is, either to a
wholesaler or via e-bay to the highest bidder.

So here's what I need to find out: 1) What would be a fair market price
and an insurance appraisal for this baby fully restored and refinished
(with the replacement legs unless I can find adequate original style
replacements)? 2) What would be a reasonable price she might expect to
receive if she sells it to a wholesaler or a web auction?

Thanks for lending me your experience and expertise!

will wickham
in the heart of the sunny (at least for today) southern tier of New
York!