A Tuner In Time

alan and carolyn barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 21 May 2005 11:45:33 -0500

Hey, that's--as we'd have said in an earlier day--pretty neat (nifty? cool? rad? far out? groovy? awesome?)

It truly is a nice 'period' movie, but, holy cow, it's like all the actors are trying to move through a sea of cold syrup and every scene is advancing toward a black hole where t i m e   s  l  o  w  s    d   o   w   n      t    o       a          s         t          o         p           .          .             .              .               .

Like all time travel movies, it also has fatal, irresolvable errors in logic.  In this case: The watch!  He has it because she gave it to him. She had it to give to him because he went back in time and left it there. So she had the watch before it was left with her but when he first showed it to her she hadn't seen it before and asked him where he'd gotten it. So where did the watch enter this Klein Bottle,* this impossible loop?

Okay, I know, it's just a movie.

Spooky and kind of sad watching Chris Reeve moving around healthy, robust, and alive.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri (Where yesterday's future is here today and, in only two days, tomorrow will be yesterday!)

*The Klein Bottle is the closed non-orientable surface with Euler characteristic = 0. It may be obtained by joining opposite ends of a cylinder with a twist, or by attaching two Mobius bands along their boundary circles. The Klein Bottle can not be embedded in R^3. There exist two immersed (self-intersecting) images of the Klein Bottle in R^3 which are not homotopic. With its circle of singularities, a Klein Bottle can be said to exist inside of itself -- especially handy during time-reversals. In case you were wondering ...
----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Kurta
To: tune4u@earthlink.net;Pianotech
Sent: 05/21/2005 6:37:56 AM
Subject: Re: A Tuner In Time

    The location where that movie was shot (Mackinac Island, Michigan), the Grand Hotel, was a customer of mine and I have tuned in that theater many times. (It was not me in the scene, ha ha).   I agree the picture is beyond slow moving, but would you believe has a life of its own!  Dyed in the wool fans of "Somewhere In Time" gather each year for a weekend at the Grand, with those actors still alive - a cult following,  period costumes and all.
    Mike Kurta
    Former Grand Hotel Technician