accelerator

Sat, 21 May 2005 22:31:53 +0100

Hello Ron and List
Though you didn't answer the query about "why do you use accelerator" do =
I understand that glycerine is aka accelerator?  The pins can only be =
driven in "so" much, so to use both methods would, in UK, be totally =
unacceptable, yet it underlines your comment of extreme dry conditions =
in Arid-zona! :-) With uprights one common anti-drying out system in the =
UK is simply to put a large ex-ice cream tub in the bottom of the piano, =
filled with water up to a previously drawn line, then monitor that level =
over a period of time. This is a "hands on" for the owner and an =
opportunity to get said owner involved in the maintenance of there =
prized posession! Obviously the knee board is kept in place!
Tell me - how is the glycerine deployed?
Regards from a dark Eurovision Song Contest noisy Sussex Village =
(currently being broadcast on T/v)
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ron & Lorene Shiflet=20
  To: Michael Gamble=20
  Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 6:54 PM
  Subject: Re: accelerator

  Hi Mike,
    I use a lot of CA glue here in Arizona, primarily for pin tightening =
but also for broken parts.  For pin tightening, I use a combination of =
driving the pins in and C/A glue.  I have had excellent results.  I =
think the CA glue seeps in further than glycerin.
      Arizona is notoriously dry.  I have never seen pin tightener work =
here.  It's my understanding that Glycerin attracts moisture.  Since we =
typically have less than 5% humidity, there simply isn't enough moisture =
to attract.  I do have many technician friends in other locations with =
humidity that love glycerin.

  Ron

    =20
    ----- Original Message -----=20