steinway c 1868

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 21 May 2005 20:12:10 EDT

Hi Ric
    This is not a C but a style 1 or 2  with the S shaped metal soundboard
cutoff in the bass corner &  aggraffes all the way to the top of the trebles
...Right? some of these  were designed to be tuned at a much higher tension
during the pitch wars of the  late  1800s.
   I re-bellied one built in 1871 & the original  string scale was built for
A-458. You need to find out if the rebuilder rescaled  for A-440 to answer the
question you have asked. At A-440 the scale designed for  higher tension will
not speak properly but sound dull & lifeless especially  in the top 2 agraffe
sections  Ask me how I know.
  Measure some string lengths  & th'er  corresponding string sizes , At
various locations & run them thru a scale  design program & see what the tension
read out is. If the tensions aren't up  round 150 to 60 then something is wrong.
   Best
  Dale Erwin

Hi List,
New client has a Steinway C . Rebuilt; nice job on strings, original
repaired soundboard and bridges, damper job not so great. Dampers falling off
lifting uneven etc.
Can this piano be tuned to a-440? it is about 100 cents flat now. I  noticed
an unusual curved piece of metal attached to the soundboard at the  bass side
near the pin block. Can anyone elaborate on it?

Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano