steinway c 1868

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sat, 21 May 2005 17:37:37 -0700

Hi, Ric,

To chime in with Dale (with whom I completely agree here), you will also
want to take a very careful look at those agraffes.  Many of the
instruments I have seen from this period had the agraffes ground for
clearance after installation, and/or have simply become weakened from
age.  If you wind up restringing, which is a good option, depending on the
circumstances, I would suggest finding a good machinist with whom to become
very good buddies.  (Theoretically, it will take 440 with room to spare.)

Also, it sounds like you might have the original damper back action...sigh.

I'll be interested to see how this unfolds.

Best.

Horace