Tapping grand pins unsupported?

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sun, 22 May 2005 12:17:02 -0400 (EDT)

You asked..............
Is it OK to give a few taps to a loose tuning pin
without pulling the action and supporting the block?
Short answer....... NO....please don't do it.

   I am fixing a piano right now where a few metal
sleeves were inserted without pinblock support.
Severe delamitations correspond to the 3 shims.
It destroyed the block.

   I have seen too much damage over the years from
tapped pins and seeing  corresponding pinblock damage.

    It is so easy to put in an 10 min and do it right.
Charge accordingly, no risk is required.

                                  Dave Renaud
                                  RPT
                                  Canada

Clearly, support is necessary when driving a pin into
an empty hole.  But I've run into a few grands that
have just two or three loose pins and plenty of coil
height.  It's so much quicker to give them two or
three taps with my Handy Hammer (side note: the
combination handle grips only *twisting* tools!),
rather than bringing out the CA...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV