Relative Humidity Changes and Old Pianos, was: CA and Accelerator and Happy Clients!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 22 May 2005 18:42:31 -0400

  AF wrote:

  Most of the pianos in this country are over 80 years old=20

  Really? Says who? I know some days it seems that way, but I don't =
think that is true at all.

  and have acclimatized to a RH of 65%.=20

  Really? Says who? Where do you get such data from? Most environments =
do not have fluctuating relative humidity levels?

  Ideally, the installation of a climate control system should maintain =
that 65% to avoid any damage.=20

  Why would a slightly drier environment cause any damage? All the wood =
in that piano grew for 100 to several hundred years at something like =
50% MC (what is the moisture content of green wood?). Somebody dried it =
out after they cut the darn thing down - didn't do much damage then - =
why would a small change in MC damage it now? IMHO, hesitating to create =
a stable 42% RH (or there abouts) environment for an old piano is =
nonsense.

  The Dampp Chaser literature that I have does not state whether you can =
set it to maintain existing conditions, and am therefore very reluctant =
to recommend the system for old instruments; new ones, fine.

  New piano, old piano, same difference, IMHO.

  Terry Farrell