Self voicing hammers/work hardening /.....Flamesuit? why?

antares antares@euronet.nl
Mon, 23 May 2005 22:58:43 +0200

On 23-mei-05, at 21:42, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> Hi all,
> =A0
> Had a little conversation with someone this weekend that got me=20
> thinking (well, now, there's a miracle!). The setting was the=20
> auditorium I where I provide the service.=A0 A church group was using =
it=20
> for some musical extravaganza.=A0 As I finished up tuning,=A0the choir=20=

> director came up to me and said what a wonderful instrument the piano=20=

> was---it was so bright (that made me cringe!) compared to "their D" at=20=

> the church=A0(OK, it was a comparative comment, I felt better.) and =
the=20
> touch was so=A0even.=A0 I said thank you and explained that I had =
replaced=20
> the action in the piano and voiced it specifically for the=20
> auditorium.=A0 He went on to tell me how they (the folks from the=20
> church) went to New York to choose their instrument and what a great=20=

> experience that was.=A0 But then he asked me for my card--although the=20=

> dealer tech was servicing their piano, he said it wouldn't hurt to=20
> know someone else who knows their way around a Steinway.=A0 No, it=20
> doesn't hurt to know someone else who knows their way around a=20
> Steinway, but it made me wonder what their instrument sounds like.
> =A0
> I can imagine all sorts of scenarios, but I'm thinking the one that=20
> might match what's happening in this case, is that the church has been=20=

> told to "work harden" to get the sound they want.=A0 Now, it's not =
that=20
> I don't believe the benefits of work hardening, but I don't think=20
> folks should be frustrated by how their piano plays and sounds,=20
> either.=A0=A0 I worked on a lovely D at Illinois Wesleyan University =
for=20
> the first 5 1/2 years of its life.=A0 It was a delight to see it =
mature,=20
> but there was=A0also the expectation from the very beginning that it=20=

> would always be up to performance level.
> =A0
> Whatever the truth of the situation is, it made me wonder about the=20
> excuse of=A0"work hardening" instead of putting the piano close to the=20=

> voicing level that is really wanted.=A0 How much "voicing" does work=20=

> hardening account for?=A0=A0 As I said before, I listened to the =
changes=20
> in a=A0D for 5 1/2 years in a university school of music, the whole =
time=20
> working with the voicing.=A0 Well, I would expect to be constantly=20
> working on the voicing=A0of any performance piano, anyway.=A0 Would =
using=20
> the excuse (exclusively) of work hardening=A0say more about the tech's=20=

> ability to handle the voicing and/or what voicing tools (as in=20
> whatever methods) they use?=A0=A0
> =A0
> [...]

It is actually quite simple Barbara, as you know too well...
There are just very few people who know what real voicing is.
When being confronted with a puzzle they can't solve, they will tell=20
stories, if only to mask their ignorance.

Flamesuit?
why?

friendly greetings
from