Self voicing hammers/work hardening /.....Flamesuit? why?

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Mon, 23 May 2005 17:28:51 -0500

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: antares=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 3:58 PM
  Subject: Re: Self voicing hammers/work hardening /.....Flamesuit? why?

  On 23-mei-05, at 21:42, Barbara Richmond wrote:

    <snip>
    =20
    I can imagine all sorts of scenarios, but I'm thinking the one that =
might match what's happening in this case, is that the church has been =
told to "work harden" to get the sound they want.  Now, it's not that I =
don't believe the benefits of work hardening, but I don't think folks =
should be frustrated by how their piano plays and sounds, either.   I =
worked on a lovely D at Illinois Wesleyan University for the first 5 1/2 =
years of its life.  It was a delight to see it mature, but there was =
also the expectation from the very beginning that it would always be up =
to performance level.
    =20
    Whatever the truth of the situation is, it made me wonder about the =
excuse of "work hardening" instead of putting the piano close to the =
voicing level that is really wanted.  How much "voicing" does work =
hardening account for?   As I said before, I listened to the changes in =
a D for 5 1/2 years in a university school of music, the whole time =
working with the voicing.  Well, I would expect to be constantly working =
on the voicing of any performance piano, anyway.  Would using the excuse =
(exclusively) of work hardening say more about the tech's ability to =
handle the voicing and/or what voicing tools (as in whatever methods) =
they use? =20
    =20
    <snip>

  It is actually quite simple Barbara, as you know too well...
  There are just very few people who know what real voicing is.
  When being confronted with a puzzle they can't solve, they will tell =
stories, if only to mask their ignorance.

  Flamesuit?=20
  why?

  Oh, heck, there could be the chance that I am being blasphemous.  I =
don't have much experience with too soft Steinway hammers--mostly =
over-hardened ones.  But I do have experience with some that are just =
fine, just so you know.  :-)=20

  On the other hand, I don't think that after paying $90,000 or whatever =
for a piano, it should take years(?, if it takes that) to get the =
desired tone.

  Barbara