First on-line images of the Overs-Kawai 200 grand piano

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 26 May 2005 08:28:20 +1000

Quentin,

>I have a question about the bridge you made for the Overs Kawai:
>the original bridge had graphite on its top, so why did you choose
>not to graphite it?

We don't use graphite or any other special coating because it is
unlikely to be of any benefit. When the sound board panel is coated
the bridges also are coated all over with the same material. After
all, we set the string offset at 10 degrees with a bridge pin
inclination of 20 degrees, so the that string is firmly clamped to
the bridge. The slip coating doesn't really help the rendering to
raise the back scale length to that of the speaking length. When a
piano is first strung we lightly rub it down on the speaking length
before each chip and tuning to get the back scale up to speaking
length tension, take the forward pull off the bridges, and to quickly
settle the piano into tuning stability. Typically, they get three
chip ups and three or four tunings, with a rub down before each,
before they leave the workshop.

Furthermore, I suspect that the black coating might allow a greater
likelihood of thermal bridge cap damage for concert instruments. The
intense stage lighting might indeed allow a black topped bridge to be
overheated to the point of cap damage. So, since 2001, all of our
bridgework has been done without slip coating the bridge.

I also agree with Terry Farrell's comment. When you have a
beautifully quarter cut face on a bridge cap, why on earth would you
want to cover it up if it doesn't have any other worthwhile benefit.
Terry's nice bridges clearly demonstrate this.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers