First on-line images of the Overs-Kawai 200 grand piano

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 26 May 2005 08:33:08 +1000

Calin,

>  . . . Did you use the rim of an older Kawai or did you buy it new
>from the factory?

It was an early Kawai KG5 out a of club. Everything that could be
wrong with the piano, with the exception of the case structure, was.
Most of these early KG5 piano have dead sound boards, so they are an
ideal platform from which to buy a case for next to nothing, and make
a nice little piano from it.

>And why did you choose not to use a tuned / untuned back duplex?

Because I'm trying to build a smaller grand for a smaller price,
without compromising its musical or aesthetic qualities. The benefits
of having the front and rear duplex of a specific length (whether
tuned or untuned) is at best marginal. So I chose to leave it out of
this remanufactured model.

>That cutoff-corner with the decal on it and the green felt looks very nice.

Thank you. I quite like the way it gives the board a visual symmetry
around the line of the long bridge, apart from what I believe to be
its musical and structural benefits. The decal is our own screen
printed decal for this type of piano.

>The colour, was it the customer's wish?

The colour scheme was my idea. At first he was a but of a sceptic,
since the first drafts looked somewhat akin to Robin Hood and his
merry men. But once we got down to the darker shades he could see
that it would look quite classy. The idea of finishing off-the-gun
with a satin finish is again to reduce the cost. Musicians and
Conservatoriums don't care if their studio instruments don't have a
gloss finish. So why should we inflict the finishing cost upon them?

I have looked at other colour combinations for a satin finish. I have
another which I would like to try. The case is coffee coloured, while
the plate is a light metallic blue with royal blue felt. I think it
looks quite amazing on colour cards, and in the right setting it
could really work.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY