First on-line images of the Overs-Kawai 200 grand piano

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 26 May 2005 00:51:38 -0500

> Ron, I can't remember where I read that (Reblitz, maybe?).  I'll look.
>
> I'll flip the question, then: why not a capo bar the whole length?
> Agraffes do help critical hammer-to-string alignment, especially
> horizontally in grands, so the una corda can work -- right?
>
> --Cy--

Well, if the tuning, bridge, and hitch pins are placed
appropriately, there's no reason I know of that a capo wouldn't work
for the whole scale. I've seen it often enough, that it's kind of
quit being too big a concern - when it's done well. Reality being
the inconvenience it is though, agraffes, or half agraffes would
maintain unison spacing and leave more flexibility in (mis)locating
tuning pins. Sort of a belt and suspenders approach. That serves the
una corda concern ok, but tuning stability?

Ron N