Two more on-line images of the Overs-Kawai 200 grand piano

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 26 May 2005 21:44:59 +1000

Hi all,

David S., you mentioned that the images online weren't as clear
compared to the image Terry posted. The images were shot with a 7Mp
Sony camera, launched in Photoshop and resized and resampled to 72
dpi for the web. The images certainly seemed quite sharp on-screen
when I prepared them, but things can go wrong when the file is
uploaded. It is also possible that for some of the images there was
some camera movement, since the larger overheads were taken with the
camera held overhead just under the 9'2" ceiling level of the
workshop. On the other hand, I have known instances where web
browsers will display images at a different magnification to that of
the original document. Occasionally a browser will make serious pixel
errors when it re-samples an image, displaying it at a different
size. I have noticed that Firefox isn't as capable at handling jpgs
as Explorer on a Mac. Although it isn't sufficient reason for me to
use Explorer. Firefox is so much faster I wouldn't think of using
anything else at this time. If you are having trouble seeing the
images clearly, drag them from the browser window to the desktop and
open them in Photoshop at 100%. I digress.

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing an image of the
plate struts which we fitted between the pinblock flange and the
belly rail. Here's an image of the upper most one which is located on
the break between the agraffe and first capo section. The main body
of the strut is made from 0.5" mild steel bar, with a 60 degree taper
turned at each end. A countersunk hole is drilled into the plate
flange with a centre drill, to receive one end of the strut, while
the other end fits into the end of a fitting made from 11 mm
hexagonal free machining steel. A turned thread on the fitting is
wound into a female thread which is cut into the belly rail. The
thread is 0.5" Whitworth with a 70 mm length of thread contact. When
the plate is installed the machined fitting (which is firstly wound
all the way into the belly rail female thread) is then screwed out to
make the strut a neat fit at each end. I don't apply any preload.
There will be more than adequate load on the strut by the time piano
is pulled up to pitch. For our 225 piano, we fit a strut to each of
the string breaks in the treble section. I suspect that this measure
might also help tuning stability. The house technician at Sydney
Conservatorium reports that our 225 no. 5 is the most tuning-stable
instrument in their entire fleet of grand pianos. It sometimes shares
the same recital hall as a couple of late model Hamburg Ds. So both
pianos on occasions are sharing the same environmental conditions.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/overskawai6.jpg

Apologies for the sostenueto tongue line. These dampers have had only
one regulation since their installation. They are due for a second
reg'.

The final image below shows an end shot of the Kawai action with the
Overs action parts fitted. The hammer rail is just about right
without any modification. The only hammer flange modifcation is
shortening it by 1 mm. The wippen rail has to be cut narrower using a
tungsten saw blade, then relocated closer to the hammer rail by 12
mm. So in all, there's isn't much involved in fitting an Overs action
to a standard KG series keyboard, rails and brackets.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/overskawai7.jpg

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY