String breakage in Seiler pianos

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Fri, 27 May 2005 12:24:40 -0500

Quentin,

The obvious thing (that I've run into a number of times) is when the =
strike point gets flattened.  I don't understand these things very well, =
but if I'm correct, there's something about the way the flattened hammer =
puts the string into motion.  Anyway, this was not the case with this =
piano when *I* was servicing it.   Unfortunately, I've never heard the =
"player."   If I did, I'd probably be able to tell more!  Now that I =
live closer, I may have the chance.

Andre,

When I contacted the expert from out of town, he told me the owner =
insisted on strings from Seiler.  Are those the right ones?  Would they =
have changed the scale over the years?  This morning I wrote Seiler and =
asked--we'll see if I get an answer.=20

Joe,

Gosh, darn it, now I have to learn something new?  ;-)  =20

No, I won't be in KC.  It's the most important week for my husband's job =
(fiscal year-end stuff and performance reviews, etc) and I haven't been =
able to arrange child care.  Last year he took vacation to stay home =
with our son.  This year the dates just don't jive.

Thanks, guys.

Barbara Richmond

 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20