String breakage in Seiler pianos

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 28 May 2005 00:00:29 +0200

On 27-mei-05, at 18:23, Quentin Codevelle wrote:

> Hi Barbara and Andre,
> =A0
> Andre, can you explain the effect of a bad regulation and a worn=20
> hammer causing a string breakage?
> =A0
> I mean, when a piano is out of regulation, with a worn hammer,=A0there=20=

> is a loss of energy=A0when the key is played, right, although the =
brand=20
> new hammer with a perfect regulation and a perfect voicing transmits=20=

> the maximum of energy available.
> =A0
> So, if the string receives less energy than when it was new, how can=20=

> it break (unless the string is a bit rusty)?
> Maybe my interpretation of the phenomenon is minimalistic, but I need=20=

> some more explaination on this point.
> =A0
> Thanks for your help,
> =A0
> Quentin
> =A0

Strings usually break because of a malfunction in the action.
A badly regulated action causes a pianist to use excessive energy, and=20=

a flattened and hardened hammer makes it worse.
If you very carefully (and with love) file the worn hammers without=20
taking off too much, and you then make a beautiful regulation, you will=20=

notice that less strings will break.
It is just a matter of misdirected energy and molested matter.
You give me that treatment... and I will break too.

(; >))

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek