Work Hardening of Wurzen Hammers

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 27 May 2005 11:31:43 -0700

Barbara asked: "Just curious on the work hardening issue, what have you =
found with the =3D
Wurzen felt hammers?  I realize you can pretty much put them where you =
=3D
want them in the first place, but have you found that the sound =3D
"matures?"  Or is it just a case of always putting them back to the same =
=3D
sound you got in the first place?"

Barbara,
I'm just finishing up on the  1867 Chickering, Flat Strung. I put =
Wurzen/Ronsen hammers on it. In the last couple of weeks I've had a few =
of my better piano playing friends come to the shop and give it a work =
out. What I've noticed is that initially the hammers didn't really blow =
my kilts up. After some serious playing/pounding, the hammers are =
beginning to Blossom. Very nice tone, in almost the whole piano w/o =
doing any voicing. The one area that was weak, was the extreme treble, =
(from F#7 to the top). I really hate adding hardeners, but in this case, =
(due to the basic piano design), I think it's necessary. So, I have =
juiced them a bit. That helped a lot. I believe that it will continue to =
improve, before I need to smooth things out with needles etc.
The one thing that strikes me more than anything else, about the tone, =
is that the sound is more of a "TA" sound, rather than a=20
"CHA"/"BLA" sound. This really blows my kilts up!<G> Big round, (but not =
"spiral"), tone, especially in the bass/tenor area. This scale is =
low-tension and is intentional, by me, to be exactly that! Oh, Joy!!!!
I'll try to keep y'all posted as this progresses.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I