String breakage in Seiler pianos

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 28 May 2005 09:32:58 +1000

Barbara,

A couple of questions about the Seiler 240. Maybe
next time you tune it you could check it.

What is the nominal string angle of turn over the capo bar?

What is the radius of the capo, and is it being
deformed (grooved) by the wire. If the bars
aren't being deformed at all, they are definitely
being hardened.

I was most impressed with the 208 Seiler at the
Reno convention, as a new piano. I have heard
that the tone gets ugly on these instruments
unless the hammers are not regularly voiced.

If you have an inspection mirror, it should be
quite easy to see the bars with the action out
and a light.

Quite a few manufacturers are now hardening the
capo bars. If the string angle over the bar is
beyond about 15 degrees with hard bars, string
breakage will inevitably occur. The breakage
problem will be more serious if the tuning
technician has poor hammer technique.

String breakage in the bass is mostly related to
either scale tension, or the height of the
counterbearing bar, if present. It is common to
see quite a severe counterbearing angle in the
bass section and it really isn't necessary.
Tension problems are more likely to occur in
longer scaled pianos such the Bösendorfer
Imperial. Breakage in the low singles of the
Imperial is a known problem. They are probably
chasing a bigger bass, but with a free back scale
length of just 40mm on the low C of the Imperial,
the board will be effectively clamped. I tuned
the ABC's Imperial in jazz studio 227 just last
Saturday, when the short bass-back-scale of these
pianos jumped out at me.

Look forward to hearing your report if possible

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers